Saturday, August 16, 2008

Fear

     As I go, preparing for the mission field, so many emotions and thoughts have run through my mind. One of those emotions is one I did not expect. FEAR. Having grown up on the mission field, the last thing I felt was fear of doing what God had called me to do. Whether it was street ministry or youth groups or worship teams, I experienced nervousness, and sweaty palms, but not fear like I have felt lately.
Fears:   - Not adequately fulfilling the role of chaplain to the students of the Alliance Academy   - Afraid I lack the necessary skills to serve Him   - Failing in...integrity, discretion, wisdom, example, leadership, servanthood, honesty and capability.   - Disappointing supporters, sending mission, partner missionaries.
  From the time God called me I have known what I would do with my life. Every large decision in my life (college, finances) has been made with that holy ambition in mind. As John Piper puts it...a holy ambition is something that you really, really, really want to do and God also wants you to do. My holy ambition is to see godly leaders raised up for this generation impacting the world with the message of the gospel. I have a passion for the lives of young people and I desire to see them choose what is good, right and true. In this world it seems all but impossible to find someone whole-heartedly committed to faith, purity, uplifting speech and deep honest love. They can be found though and I hope to see the young people I connect with become just that by the power of God.
     With YOUR prayers and support it CAN and WILL happen. Right now I NEED YOUR PRAYER. Never underestimate it. Our God moves mountains and splits seas when we have the courage to trust Him and step out in faith. Lets walk together in this faith and discover those immeasurably great and wonderful things that God does beyond all we can ask or imagine. “Surely what Christ means is that he himself makes up for every loss. If you give up a mother's nearby affection and concern, you get back one hundred times the affection and concern from the ever-present Christ. If you give up the warm comradeship of a brother, you get back one hundred times the warmth and camaraderie from Christ. If you give up the sense of at-homeness you had in your house, you get back one hundred times the comfort and security of knowing that your Lord owns every house and land and stream and tree on earth. Isn't what Jesus is saying to prospective missionaries just this: I promise to work for you and be for you so much that you will not be able to speak of having sacrificed anything. That's the way Hudson Taylor took it, because at the end of his 50 years of missionary labor in China he said, ‘I never made a sacrifice.’” By John Piper. © Desiring God. Website: desiringGod.org

1 comment:

  1. in our weakness.. HE IS STRONG!
    God be your strength and courage Lorenzo.
    He believes in you and so do we!
    keep surrendering every moment to Him and you will be soooo soooo rocked with His faithfulness.
    "May the God of HOPE fill you with PEACE as you TRUST in Him." Romans 15:13.

    God go before you Lorenzo!

    ReplyDelete