Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Blankets to warm the Oppressed

We threw away a traditional Christmas party option this year for my Girls small group who are learning about Injustice. We decided instead to DO something for those who are oppressed this Christmas. Last night we all plopped on the floor and started making blankets for the women who were rescued from the Brothels here in Ecuador. It was totally a God thing how this project began. This year there is a new French teacher here at Alliance named Jess. We have been hanging out a lot and she was telling me how she wants to make blankets for the poor. Then I was talking with my friend Desire who moved here from Holland to work with the girls who are rescued from prostitution. We have had Desire over to speak to my small group about what is going on here in Ecuador with the sex industry. Recently she told me that the home these girls live in are looking for blankets. I connected the dots and decided this would be a great project for my small group girls. So we had Jess over teaching my small group how to make the blankets and we had Desire and her Fiance over helping us as well. Most of the girls in the rescued home are between 12 and 18 years old. A lot of them also already have children. Please be praying for this Saturday. We will have a Christmas party for the girls and give them the blankets we made them! Pray that my small group will share Christ's love in practical ways to these other girls who are their same age but completely different life experiences. About a month ago Loren and I went on a field trip to Mindo with the 7th graders from the school! It is a town about 2 hours from Quito that is known for its nature. Beautiful butterflies and birds that you can't find anywhere else in the world. Here is a slideshow of us getting to zip line in the jungle with our students! This is when we went on a 5 hour hike to a waterfall with the students. One of our favorite quotes we heard from a student that day was: "I have never walked this long in my whole life, have you?" haha! We have more updates to share with you soon, stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment