Monday, June 16, 2008

What's Up with June?

June 14, 2008

Dear Friends,

A little less than two months from now I hope to begin my trip to Ecuador. When I tell people, their first reaction is, “That’s not very long from now!” The only reason they say this is because they haven’t seen the pile of assignment and books are on my desk at home. Not to mention the amount of support that I still need to raise (about $7,000). With those things calculated in my finite mind Ecuador seems so very distant. Thanks be to God who has all things under His control. He has set the times and dates for us and we don’t have to worry about a thing. So, I continue on with my studies and take what opportunities come my way to talk about what I’ll be doing in Ecuador.

Two weeks ago I attended training at International Teams in Elgin, IL, just outside of Chicago. It was GREAT! Getting to know some of the IT staff and other missionaries that will be going all over the world and working with a myriad of ministries was a huge blessing. We learned about working with/as a team, how to handle conflict, communicating in different cultures and of course the ins and outs of IT. After the week was over I felt even more assured of my calling than ever before.

After talking with Adam Devries in Ecuador about what the up coming year looks like I am even more excited. It looks like I will be working with a few groups of students on leading worship for the Wednesday morning chapel services. I have been involved in worship groups for many years, but have little experience leading, so it will be a stretch for me.

On Sunday and Wednesday nights I am still helping out with a local youth group. The regular youth pastor has left the group to two of us who aspire to be youth leaders ourselves. My counterpart just completed his first year of school and really has a heart to work with student. He grew up in the same church so already has an established relationship with many of the kids which helps a lot. Before I leave I am trying to get in a student leadership training seminar. Student leaders who know something about leadership is desperately lacking in the youth group.

Please pray for:

-Raising the money needed to go to Ecuador

-Finishing my studies well

-God preparing the students for next school year at the Alliance Academy

-The students I work with now as they truly lack a passionate well guided walk with Him

-My shoulder began ailing me a month or more ago from an old flag football injury and because of it I can no longer lift weights (a hobby I had been pursuing over the past year). The doctor said it is fixable which is good, but I’ve decided to wait on that.

Thank you all for your care and support. I truly appreciate it. Recently I was reading a John Piper Book that said, “All God really wants from us is our thirst”. I believe this is very true as we cannot server Him as though he needed our service to accomplish anything. Rather He just wants our thirst for the living water He is. May you drink deep of Him.

Loren Holland

1 comment:

  1. Lorenzo,
    Hey, man. Thanks for the newsletter/ update. Laura and I are way excited for you! Keep us in the loop! We love you and can't wait to see you and hear your stories again!

    yer brother,
    -Corbin
    (http://thepeakcommunity.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete